Raising funds to look after Australian
hearts can be easy and fun!
The first step is to set a
fundraising goal. This gives you
something to aim for
and will encourage your friends
and family to be generous
in their support.
Next, personalise your page.
Upload a photo and tell people
why you’re taking part.
Spread the word. Our resources
page has plenty of social media
tiles and other resources
to help you ask for support
and share your wins.
Here are some more tips and ideas to help get you started:
- Save the date – add the start date of 1 October in your calendar.
- Make a donation – kick start your fundraising by making the first donation. If you back yourself, others are more likely to back you too!
- Personalise your page – upload a photo and tell people why you’re taking part. Then keep your supporters up to date with your progress by posting regular updates.
- Don’t be shy! – send regular messages to your friends and family asking them to support you. Then reach out beyond your inner circle – ask colleagues and your community to donate.
- Spread the word – via SMS, Messenger (see below for ideas!), emails and tagging people on your social channels.
- Create a Facebook Fundraiser - this feature is available through your MyMarathon dashboard and can help turbocharge your fundraising. This will create a linked Facebook fundraiser to your MyMarathon fundraising page that allows your friends and family to donate to you while they scroll social media!
The more people who know about your goal, the more donations you’re likely to get!
Asking for donations
Not sure how to ask for donations?
We know that people are more likely to donate to your cause if you ask them directly – for example by calling them, sending a message via SMS or Messenger, and by tagging people on social media.
Here are some examples of an SMS that you could copy and paste to ask people to support you:
Hi! Hope you’re well. I'm doing the Heart Foundation's MyMarathon challenge to help raise money for research into heart disease. Will you support me by donating $20, which is just one week of takeaway coffees? It would mean so much to me if you could help. Thank you!
Hi! Hope you’re well. I'm doing the Heart Foundation's MyMarathon challenge to help raise money for research into heart disease. I’m donating my personal best. Will you support me by donating $1 for every kilometre I walk/run?
Hi! Hope you’re well. I'm doing the Heart Foundation's MyMarathon challenge to help raise money for research into heart disease. Will you support me by donating $50, which is the equivalent of a night at the movies? It would mean so much to me if you could help. Thank you!